It’s important to be open to different ideas – to see what works best in your circumstances Experiment with ways of developing solutions that are culturally legitimate, as well as practically effective It’s...
- Understand Indigenous governance
- Your culture
- Assess your governance
- Build your governance
- Your people
- Systems and plans
- Conflict resolution and peacemaking
- Governance Stories
- Useful links
Right People for Country program
The Right People for Country program is an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander-led project that supports traditional owner groups in dispute resolution and agreement-making. It supports groups in making decisions:
- between groups – about boundaries and extent of Country
- within groups– about group representation and membership.
The program supports traditional owner groups in reaching agreements about Country and traditional owner identity themselves, rather than having governments and courts make the decisions.
Support is tailored to each group and includes:
- independent facilitators
- training (strategic negotiation, group facilitation and dispute resolution)
- planning workshops
- support to visit and map country
- resources to hold meetings
The Right People for Country program follows a 5-step agreement-making process. It has also established a set of principles for traditional owner-led agreement-making.
Read more about the Right People for Country program.