It’s important to be open to different ideas – to see what works best in your circumstances Experiment with ways of developing solutions that are culturally legitimate, as well as practically effective It’s...
- Understand Indigenous governance
- Your culture
- Assess your governance
- Build your governance
- Your people
- Systems and plans
- Conflict resolution and peacemaking
- Governance Stories
- Useful links
Here you can see all the sections and topics of the Toolkit laid out on one page. You can enter into any part of the Toolkit through this page.
Understand what governance means and why effective governance is important. Learn about the different types of governance – Indigenous, community, corporate and organisational.
- Defining governance
- Indigenous governance
- Governance lingo
- Self-determination and governance
- Effective Indigenous governance
Understand the role culture plays as the foundation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander governance.
- Centre your culture
- Culture-smart governance
Assess foundational areas that should be considered before you start building or improving your governance. Learn how to define the direction of your group, and discuss how to draw on your people, history, internal culture, and assets to strengthen your governance.
- When to assess your governance
- Know your people
- Learn from history
- Assess your purpose and vision
- Recognise your internal culture
- Map your assets
- Monitor your wider environment
- Plan for the future
Learn how to build – or rebuild – your governance. Find practical information on choosing a governance model that suits your group’s purpose and developing the rules that will govern your group.
- How to get started
- Choose your governance model
- Decide whether to incorporate
- Develop your rules or constitution
Learn about the key people who take on governing roles and responsibilities in your group. Get information and ideas on how to manage relationships and the importance of strong and fair representation.
- Your key players
- Board of directors
- CEO and managers
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
First Nations women in governance
- First Nations women and leadership
- Opportunities for First Nations women
- Challenges faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women
- Supporting women in governance
- International support for the equality of First Nations women in governance
- Australian support for the equality of First Nations women in governance
Get information and ideas about developing and strengthening your leadership. Effective leadership is important for achieving better social, economic and cultural outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leadership
- Leadership styles
- Challenges of leadership
- Develop your leadership
- Succession planning
- Evaluate your leadership
Learn about the systems and plans that help your everyday work be effective. Information about the development of policies and procedures in key areas including communication, meetings, decision-making and finance management.
- Policies and procedures
- Financial management
- Strategic planning
- Risk management
Understand conflicts, disputes and complaints and their common causes within organisations, communities and nations. Find information and practical strategies on developing peacemaking processes.
- Understand conflicts, disputes and complaints
- Understand peacemaking
- Implement peacemaking processes
Understand self-determination and its relationship to nation building, treaty and development. Includes practical steps, tips and strategies to get started on nation building, governing for treaty and self-determined development.
- Self-determination for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Nation building, treaty and development
- Nation building in practice
Subscribe to AIGI news and updates.